Sunday, July 29, 2012





I finally went camping. I know, I know, I'm out here in Colorado and I should have gone 10 times by now, but I haven't. I mean, I camped with the group during our first week here, but this was the first time I had slept outside since then and without a tent. We left at 11:30 and drove to Columbine Point to set up camp. I'm not a fan of sleeping on the ground; I'm the kind of person who can only fall asleep if I'm lying comfortably; no airplanes, cars, or trains for me and the ground is the last place I want to sleep. But I was surprised by how comfortable it was, granted I had a sleeping pad but it was sitll the best ground I had ever slept on. It was a perfect night; it wasn't too cold, it wasn't raining, and there were no clouds, nights like those are becoming rare around here. The sky was clear and the stars were beautiful. The sky is such an amazing part of creation that is  constantly changing. The sun and the moon are always moving, the sky chages colors, clouds never look the same, rainbows appear, and stars draw pictures. There is something about the sky that is magical. Maybe it's the fact that we cannot reach it; it is a part of creation that we cannot completely know, we are always trying to learn more, to reach it, to understand it; it is the place where God lives. We associate God with heaven and the sky,  where all of these amazing thigs happen. Out here, I'm closer to the sun, I'm closer to the moon, I'm closer to the stars, and I'm closer to God. It's a good place to be. 











No comments:

Post a Comment