Thursday, July 18, 2013

Storms and Stories

Before I left home for Colorado I would have never dreamed that I would go whitewater rafting, rock climbing, cliff jumping, tubing down a river, or pretty much any other adventure I have had this summer.  In fact, I thought that coming to Colorado would be a time of relaxation in the mountains without a care in the world.  Never the less, I have been blessed by many new adventures and many new friendships that I never expected.

One of the themes of the program this year has to do with learning people’s stories.  Most of our speakers have taken a moment to share their life stories.  They are all beautiful testaments of how God shapes and molds us through both the good and the bad.  In our small groups we are also each taking a turn to tell our own life story.  Most of all, I've enjoyed getting to hear bits and pieces of the stories of the people I work with in the programs department.  It is always interesting to hear a new perspective from different types of people.  The best thing about these stories is that the people telling them are honest.  They don’t leave out the struggles or the doubts or the disappointments.  The stories never end with despair.  They always end with glimmers of hope and healing. 

Today I had the privilege of hiking Devil’s Thumb with some friends.  It was a difficult hike but the views at the top were worth it.  We had a late start on the day, so when we saw storm clouds gathering we quickly began to make our way off the mountain.  Not long afterwards, we could hear the thunder in the distance.  Before we knew it, we were hiking down a muddy path being pelted by rain and hearing the echo of thunder off the mountain.  It was a cool experience until the hail started pelting our bare legs and exposed heads.  There was so much hail, that it was accumulating on the ground.  By the time we got to the car, we were wet from head to toe, covered in mud, and very hungry.  Nothing sounded better than a hot shower, a dry set of clothes, and a good meal.

I’m telling this story because I think it is a good metaphor for the life stories I've had the opportunity to hear.  Everyone goes through storms in their life and experience struggles that they never expected, kind of like the storm we got caught in today.  However, we have the comfort of knowing that, no matter how wet and cold we get, somewhere in the future there is a hot shower, a dry set of clothes, and a good meal waiting for us.  This doesn't always mean that things are going to be easier.  Even when you reach that point where you feel safe and secure again, you might walk outside and find yourself caught in the middle of a storm again, but you always know that God will provide a safe haven in the middle of your roughest storms.  My own life is shaped by storms, but I have the comfort of knowing that God will be with me and provide me with the comfort I need. 

 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”   Joshua 1:9






No comments:

Post a Comment