Thursday, June 27, 2013

We have almost reached the halfway point of our program here in beautiful Colorado and I think that most would agree that tremendous amounts of growth have already taken place.  For one, all of us have created new relationships with fellow Calvins (what they call us here) and people from other programs.  The largest contingent of staff is international workers from all over the world, such as: Colombia, Thailand, China, Turkey, and Ukraine, to name a few.  The vast majority of from these countries do not share the same beliefs that we do.   I work with many of these people in housekeeping; personally, they have caused much growth from me.  I have been put in a place where my beliefs are among the minority.  This can be intimidating at times, but also a great opportunity to be a witness to many who know very little about Christianity.  Along with several others, from Calvin or elsewhere, I have been able to have some good conversations with people of other religions about what they believe as well as what Christians believe.  In talking with my roommates over the past couple of weeks, I have found out that many of us from Calvin are taking advantage of the opportunity to share what we believe with others.

I also want to speak of the great beauty that we are experiencing here in the mountains.  Even from the middle of camp we are surrounded full circle by a panoramic view of the mountains.  On one side, is the continental divide with its snow capped and rocky peaks, and on the other are gentler, green-capped mountains.  We have been graced with moose, foxes, beavers, and I think there was a bear sighting.  All of this shows the wonderful picture that God has painted through creation.  We have experienced campfire worship as the wind blows through the trees and the mountains are silhouetted by the setting sun.  We have all seen incredible sights and I’m sure that more are to come!


Andre Otte

No comments:

Post a Comment